The notorious black bean brownie – encompassing all that is the brownie: crisp top with a fudgey and moist centre. Couldn’t find canned black beans, so I substituted them for red kidney beans instead. I’d previously tried soaking dried black beans and the brownies turned out pretty dry :( Added another secret ingredient – avocado. My original recipe doesn’t have chocolate chips, but you can add them for a bit of naughty.
- 1 can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed thoroughly
- 1 small avocado, peeled and fleshed
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp carob powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- Optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees (fan-forced). Line a square baking pan.
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the blended ingredients into the baking pan and cook for 10-15 minutes.