I love falafels for all their chickpea, spicy and herby goodness. As I was innocently strolling through the supermarket and saw the special for Macro Wholefoods Smoked Eggplant Falafels, it was all reflex.
Here’s a nice and easy way to jazz up any falafel: with a side of beetroot hummus, chilli jam and balsamic greens.
- 1/2 beetroot, peeled
- 400g can chickpeas, drained (alternatively soak 200g dried chickpeas)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp oil
What to do:
- Put it all into a food processor until smooth :)
- Season with additional cumin if you like
A handy condiment to have in the fridge and suitable with salt and pepper squid, on pizza or falafels!
This recipe can be found in Valli Little’s Delicious cookbook (beautiful recipes and photography).
- 2 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1-2 large chillies , chopped (depending how hot you want it)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- Squeeze of lime
What to do:
- Add the chopped tomatoes and brown sugar in a bowl and macerate over a few hours (or overnight)
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the chopped tomatoes and sugar and simmer over low-medium heat for 10-15min until thickened.
Just toss together some roquette and spinach leaves and drizzle with good quality balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
PS – More to come with a chocolately Easter special soon :)